The Economics section is located within the Industry Operations Divisions of the Coffee Industry Corporations Ltd. The section has responsibility for overseeing the programmes, plans and activities of the Cooperation’s Economics section.
The sectional staff has responsibility for investigating and reporting on the economic state of the coffee industry both in PNG and internationally. The section is responsible for providing accurate and timely reports on the coffee market for use by the industry. Some of the functions are:
- Conduct surveys and investigations into economic issues and challenges facing the coffee industry.
- Monitor all coffee exports and revenues to ensure that the value of PNG coffee is maximized.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a coherent industry strategy covering all aspects of coffee production, processing, quality control and marketing, including promoting PNG coffee in both traditional and new markets.
- Monitor trends in the local coffee prices and advise the Corporation on measures to improve coffee prices, as well provide price information to the industry and the public at large.
- Oversees the compilation of industry statistical and economic information and their publication and distribution both domestically and internationally.
- Monitor the domestic market and prices to ensure growers receive a fair price and to ensure prices that are reflective of quality.